Demonstrate the power of concept-based instruction to challenge students' thinking and generate meaningful learning experiences!
Based on the third edition of H. Lynn Erickson's best-selling book Stirring the Head, Heart, and Soul, this guide gives staff developers and workshop leaders the tools to help teachers gain a clear understanding of how to use concept-based instruction to deepen students' understandings and inspire a genuine love of learning. Facilitators will be able to show what concept-based instruction looks like and guide participants in discussions that cover a wide range of topics, including how to
- Design concept-based instructional units
- Apply a "conceptual lens" to differentiate for individual ability levels
- Integrate graphic organizers
- Use scaffolding to develop "synergistic thinking" and other types of thinking abilities
- Workshop activities
- Discussion questions
- Chapter summaries
- Prompts for journal writing
- Handouts and overheads
- Sample agendas for half-day, one-day, and two-day workshops
- A workshop evaluation form
The Facilitator's Guide to Stirring the Head, Heart, and Soul, Third Edition is ideal for staff developers or anyone leading professional development for groups of any size—pairs, book study groups, small workshops, or large seminars.