Emphasising not just mental health needs, but also the importance of creating a culture of inclusion for all pupils so that all pupils develop high self-esteem, emotional intelligence, social confidence and resilience, this book provides:
- an introduction to key theories that relate to mental health;
- an overview of the current context in relation to mental health in schools;
- guidance on the identification of pupils with mental health needs;
- evidence-based research on interventions to support pupils with mental health needs;
- an assessment tool which will support teachers in identifying needs and planning subsequent interventions;
- case studies of practice from a primary school and early years setting.
Based on action research which has been implemented in a primary school, this important text is valuable reading for students on teacher training courses, and practising primary school teachers.