American Democracy in Context provides a combined comparative and historical approach to inspire students to better understand American government and become active citizens. Bestselling authors Maltese, Pika, and Shively explain the distinctive features of how Americans practice democracy—how they vote, translate election results into representation of interests, make policy decisions, enforce laws and maintain justice—and how those practices differ from other democracies throughout the world. The emphasis is always on the American political system, but the search for understanding encourages students to examine how the American system has developed over time (historical context) and how it compares with similar practices in other democracies (comparative context). This combined approach motivates students to understand why politics is relevant to their everyday lives and how they can affect changes and make a difference.
Hear author John Maltese talk about key features in the book. Watch now!
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
SAGE Vantage Digital Option
Engage, Learn, Soar with SAGE Vantage, an intuitive digital platform that delivers American Democracy in Context textbook content in a learning experience carefully designed to ignite student engagement and drive critical thinking. Built with you and your students in mind, it offers easy course set-up and enables students to better prepare for class. Learn more.
Assignable Video (available on the SAGE Vantage platform, linked through SAGE Coursepacks) is tied to learning objectives and curated exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to different learning styles. Watch a sample video now.
FREE! Easily import high-quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
SAGE course outcomes: Measure Results, Track Success
Outlined in your text and mapped to chapter learning objectives, SAGE course outcomes are crafted with specific course outcomes in mind and vetted by advisors in the field. See how SAGE course outcomes tie in with this book’s chapter-level objectives at https://edge.sagepub.com/maltese.
Contact your rep to learn more.
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime
- Flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts
- mobile-friendly practice quizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE Edge.
SAGE Coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Chapter quizzes that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Assignable Video (available on the SAGE Vantage platform, linked through SAGE Coursepacks) is tied to learning objectives and curated exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to different learning styles.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Instructor manual for each chapter that includes a chapter summary, outline, multimedia links, discussion questions, and in-class activities
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- All tables and figures from the textbook