“The Brief edition of American Government: Stories of a Nation outlines the crucial areas and helps guide students along to what they should know… I am confident this approach is what students are looking for.”
—Frank Fuller, Chestnut Hill College
American government is not just one story—it’s many stories. Our stories. And they are still being told.
In American Government: Stories of a Nation, author Scott Abernathy tunes in to the voices of America’s people, showing how diverse ideas throughout our nation’s history have shaped our political institutions, our identities, the way we participate and behave, the laws we live by, and the challenges we face. His storytelling approach brings the core concepts of government to life, making them meaningful and memorable, and allowing all students to see themselves reflected in the pages. For the new Brief Edition, Abernathy has carefully condensed and updated the content from the Full version, giving your students the information they need--and the stories they relate to--in a more concise, value-oriented package. Curious how storytelling can boost learning in your classroom? Read a free whitepaper that explains the research.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
Free Poster: What can you do with a Political Science degree?
Includes access to SAGE Premium Video, interactive data exercises, multimedia tools, and much more!
Save when you bundle the Interactive eBook with the print version. Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-2537-8
Learn more about the Interactive eBook.
Trending Topics Series
Help your students gain a deeper understanding of some of today’s most evocative political topics—FREE when bundled!
Browse the latest topics
Student Study Site
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning in an easy-to-use environment that offers:
- Mobile-friendly flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize your study time, anywhere, anytime
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes that allow you to assess how much you’ve learned and where you need to focus your attention
- Chapter summaries with learning objectives that reinforce the most important material
- Chapter-specific study questions that allow you to engage with the material
- Video resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives, and make learning easier
- Exclusive access to influential SAGE journal and reference content, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
Instructor Resources Site
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s LMS. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge .
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Pedagogically robust assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and curated and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to different learning styles, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Topics in American Government videos, which discuss foundational concepts in the text.
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal and reference content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
- Integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for your students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video
- All tables and figures from the textbook