Your key to understanding how formative assessment improves learning!
High-stakes tests and end-of-year assessments dominate educational planning and curriculum. Yet, formative assessments are proven to have the most impact on day-to-day learning.
Teachers who understand how to use assessment to spark learning unlock a powerful educational tool, and Assessment as Learning can show you how. Using clear explanations and poignant cases, this book illustrates how formative assessment can be used to understand student beliefs, inform classroom instruction, and encourage student reflection. Fully revised, this second edition features
- Discussion of the complex nature of learning
- Ways to use formative assessment in a variety of contexts
- Real-life examples and case studies of assessment in action
- Sample rubrics and lesson plans for easy implementation
- Ideas for Follow-up at the end of each chapter
- Insights into common classroom dilemmas along with viable solutions
Unraveling the mystery of formative assessment, this resource reveals how this teaching technique optimizes learning.
"Lorna Earl is an international thought leader when it comes to linking quality assessment to teaching, learning and student success."
—Rick Stiggins, Author and Consultant
"Earl begins at the beginning, focusing on assessing what students believe is true and using assessment information to help students develop and extend learning from those initial beliefs. Readers should do likewise, asking themselves what they believe is true about assessment and then extending their learning with this book."
—Susan M. Brookhart, Consultant