Developing Digital Literacies
A Framework for Professional Learning
- Dustin C. Summey - University of Central Arkansas, USA
Foreword by Patrick Larkin
Turn teachers—and students—into tech-savvy digital citizens!
Digital literacies are essential for managing information and communication in our rapidly changing world—but the old scattered approaches to introducing technology have left many teachers playing catch-up with their students. With this authentic, job-embedded professional development program, you’ll help K–12 teachers incorporate digital literacies into their classrooms once and for all.
Using a modular, highly adaptable framework that capitalizes on the personnel and resources you already have available, this comprehensive program includes:
- Instructions on developing personal learning networks (PLN) for collaborative learning and applying digital literacies in the classroom
- Tips for maximizing teacher motivation and buy-in
- Technology-related supports to enable schoolwide curriculum integration
- A companion website with electronic planning and implementation materials, sample instructional tools, and links to supporting resources
When you empower teachers to harness existing technologies and digital resources, they’ll build upon their teaching expertise—and change the way students learn.
"Summey presents a well-crafted, technology professional development model that is sound in practice, adaptable, and can be easily implemented at the local level. And, as an added bonus, he includes a new digital literacies framework that surrounds the professional development structure and is a stellar model for framing the teaching and learning of the important 21st century skill-set for both educators and students!"
—Kathy Schrock, Educational Technologist