“A comprehensive, student-focused exploration of the complexity of human communication.”
—Darrell Mullins, Salisbury University
Communication in Everyday Life: The Basic Course Edition With Public Speaking, Second Edition encourages students to apply basic communication concepts to their daily lives, giving them a deeper understanding of the inseparable connection between relationships and communication. Authors Steve Duck and David T. McMahan expertly combine theory and application to introduce students to fundamental communication concepts and master practical communication skills, such as listening and critical thinking, using technology to communicate, understanding nonverbal communication, creating persuasive strategies, and managing group conflict. The fully updated Second Edition offers practical instruction to improve a student’s ability to effectively communicate interpersonally, in groups, in interviews, and speaking through presentations. Throughout the book, students receive the tools they need to critically analyze their situation, link communication theory to their own experiences, and improve their communication and public speaking skills in the process.
Also available with...
SAGE coursepacks: Our Content Tailored to Your LMS
Instructors! SAGE coursepacks makes it easy to import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS). Intuitive and simple to use, SAGE coursepacks allows you to customize course content to meet your students’ needs. Learn more.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s LMS. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
· required access codes
· learning a new system
Say YES to…
· using only the content you want and need
· high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes:
· Our content delivered directly into your LMS
· Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
· Pedagogically robust assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
o Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
o Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
o Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
o Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
· Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
· Video resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives and make learning easier
· Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
· Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
· Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
· All tables and figures from the textbook
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help you accomplish your coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards reinforce understanding of key terms and concepts that have been outlined in the chapters.
- Mobile-friendly web quizzes allow for independent assessment of progress made in learning course material.
- Multimedia content includes links to video, audio, and web links that appeal to students with different learning styles.
- Answers to in-text photo caption questions