Written by former practitioners who are experts in the field, Corrections: The Essentials, Third Edition, addresses the most important topics in corrections in a brief, yet comprehensive format. Authors Mary K. Stohr and Anthony Walsh introduce students to the history and development of correctional institutions, while offering a unique perspective on ethics and diversity. The Third Edition provides insights into the future of corrections as well as updated coverage of the most important issues impacting the field today.
New to the Third Edition
- Updated and expanded coverage of ethical considerations, special populations, and the history of corrections provides students with the context for understanding policy decisions and their consequences, both past and present.
- More coverage on disparities in sentencing and drug courts encourages students to think critically about U.S. drug policies and the effectiveness of those policies.
- Additional content on federal procedures and private prisons shows real examples of private prisons, their profit motives, and the effect they have had on the correctional system.
- The most current data, facts, figures, and research are included throughout the book to provide students with insights into today’s world of corrections.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
Contact your rep to request a demo, explore bundling options, answer your questions, and find the perfect combination of tools and resources below to fit your unique course needs.
- SAGE Premium Video
Included in the Interactive eBook! Corrections News Clips bring extra coverage of current events into the book, connecting brief 2 to 4 minute news clips to core chapter content. Learn more about SAGE Premium Video.
- Interactive eBook
Your students save when you bundle the print version with the Interactive eBook (Bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-2642-9), which includes access to SAGE Premium Video and other multimedia tools. Learn more about the Interactive eBook.
- SAGE coursepacks
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more about instructor resources.
- SAGE edge
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Learning objectives reinforce the most important material.
- Carefully selected chapter-by-chapter video and multimedia content which enhance classroom-based explorations of key topics
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to certain full-text SAGE journal articles have been carefully selected for each chapter. Each article supports and expands on the concepts presented in the chapter.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s LMS. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Pedagogically robust assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
o Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
o Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
o Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and curated exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to different learning styles, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- News Clips that bring extra coverage of current events into the book, connecting multiple, brief 2- to 4-minute news clips to core chapter content.
- Career insights from professionals in the field encourage students to start thinking about a variety of careers in Corrections“
- Video resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives and make learning easier
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
- Integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for your students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video
- All tables and figures from the textbook