Key topics include:
- Creating a supportive learning environment
- Developing the questioning skills of teachers and children
- Learning through assessment
- Developing thinking skills through curriculum subjects
- Active learning in early years education
- Philosophy for Children (P4C)
- Frameworks to promote thinking
This is essential reading for professional studies modules on primary initial teacher education courses, including university-based (PGCE, PGDE, BA QTS, BEd), school-based (SCITT, School Direct) and employment-based routes into teaching. It also serves as a handbook for schools that are developing their approaches to active learning.
Anitra Vickery works as senior lecturer in primary mathematics education and the Professional Studies Coordinator at Bath Spa University.