“I really love this textbook. It is easy to read and flows logically. […] as far as an “assigned reading” book for a face-to-face lecture goes, the book is top notch.”
—Brian Naples, Panola College
In Texas, myth often clashes with the reality of everyday government. Explore the state's rich political tradition with Lone Star Politics as this local author team explains who gets what and how.
Utilizing the comparative method, the authors set Texas in context with other states' constitutions, policymaking, electoral practices, and institutions as they delve into the evolution of its politics. Critical thinking questions and unvarnished "Winners and Losers" discussions guide students toward understanding Texas government and assessing the state's political landscape. The Sixth Edition expands its coverage on civil rights in the state, as well as contemporary issues highlighting the push-pull relationship between the state and federal and local governments.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
Includes access to video, multimedia tools, and much more! Save when you bundle the interactive eBook with the new edition. Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-6568-8. Learn more.
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
Bundle and save!
When bundled with the new edition of Lone Star Politics, your students can receive the following books from our trending topics series for free.
- Texas State and Local Media: Use Bundle ISBN 978-1-5443-6542-8
- The Learning Outcomes Guide to accompany Lone Star Politics Use Bundle ISBN 978-1-5443-2167-7
Instructors: SAGE coursepacks and SAGE edge online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
SAGE coursepacks for instructors makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
With SAGE coursepacks, you get:
- quality textbook content delivered directly into your LMS;
- an intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort;
- assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, including:
- diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided;
- assignable data exercises in each chapter help students build essential data literacy skills using interactive data visualization tools from SAGE Stats and U.S. Political Stats. Drawing on key data series ranging from demographic patterns to state budget to voting behavior, these exercises offer students a dynamic way to analyze real-world data and think critically about the stories behind the numbers.
- assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and curated exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Topics in American Government videos that recap the fundamentals of American politics in every chapter—from the Bill of Rights to voter turnout to the powers of the presidency
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch;
- instructor manual for each chapter, including a chapter summary, learning objectives, chapter outline, and discussion questions to support your teaching;
- integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources; and
- all tables and figures from the textbook
SAGE edge for students enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime;
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts;
- eQuizzes that allow students to practice and assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention;
- chapter summaries with learning objectives that reinforce the most important material;
- meaningful video and Web links that facilitate student use of Internet resources, further exploration of topics, and responses to critical thinking questions.