Marriages and Families in the 21st Century
A Bioecological Approach
- Tasha R. Howe - Humboldt State University, USA
Marriages and Families in the 21st Century puts contemporary relationships and family structures in context for today’s students. Using a bioecological framework, the book reveals how families are shaped by multiple influences, from biological to cultural, that interact with one another. Chapters cover topics from parenting to gender issues within an interdisciplinary context, weaving in stories, visuals, and examples of diverse families to dispel longstanding myths. The book creates a personalized learning experience with frequent self-assessments and strengths exercises, while ensuring that students come to understand the research and build scientific analysis and critical thinking skills along the way. Robust digital tools and resources including SAGE edge and an interactive eBook with SAGE Premium Video help readers develop a multi-layered understanding of today's modern families while challenging them to re-evaluate their own assumptions and experiences.
SAGE Premium Video included in the Interactive eBook!
Families Today videos boost comprehension and bolster analysis—easily accessible via the interactive eBook. Your students save when you bundle the interactive eBook with the new edition. Use bundle ISBN 978-1-5063-9879-2. Learn more.
SAGE coursepacks: Our Content Tailored to Your LMS!
SAGE coursepacks makes it easy to import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS). Intuitive and simple to use, SAGE coursepacks allows you to customize course content to meet your students’ needs. Learn more.
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- eQuizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention
A customized online action plan that includes tips and feedback on student progress through the course and materials
- Chapter summaries with learning objectives that reinforce the most important material
- Chapter-specific study questions that allow students to engage with the material
- Exclusive access to influential SAGE journal content that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
Instructors: The following online resources accompany this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to...
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- An intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement:
- Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions show how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks
- Families Today videos are tied to learning objectives and bring concepts to life
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options automatically feed to your gradebook
- A comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource lists the chapter to which the video content is tied with matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
- Integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for your students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video
- All tables and figures from the textbook
“Howe does a superb job of keeping students reminded of the multiple influences on family and individual. Many textbooks are missing this organizational element.”
“I like that the author blends history, anthropology, psychology, biology & sociology into one text. It is how this topic must be addressed.”
“I like how the author is careful to address different ethnicities and types of couples (e.g., multi-racial; gay/lesbian; etc.), esp. vis-à-vis the standard North American family.”
“The author found ways to bring ‘the self’ into the discussion on relationships. Students really need to relate, and the author finds many ways to open that up for students.”
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: The Changing American Family