“An entertaining, informative and thoughtful mass media text that keeps students engaged.”
—Charles W. Little Jr., Santa Ana College
Transform your students into smart, savvy media consumers.
A book that students find fun to read and instructors consider educationally valuable, Mass Communication: Living in a Media World provides the media literacy principles and critical thinking skills that students need to become self-aware media consumers. Known for his storytelling approach, bestselling author Ralph E. Hanson uses examples drawn from everyday life to explain the many dimensions of mass media that operate in our society. This newly revised Seventh Edition is packed with contemporary examples and compelling stories that illustrate the latest developments and recent events that are changing the face of media today.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
SAGE Premium Video
Included in the interactive eBook! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Preview a video now.
Includes access to SAGE Premium Video, multimedia tools, and much more! Save when you bundle the interactive eBook with the new edition. Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-5323-4. Learn more.
SAGE lecture spark
Get the latest industry news, tips for teaching the Mass Communication course, sample exercises, and more. Learn more at www.ralphehanson.com
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific review questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and curated and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to different learning styles, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Media Transformation Videos accompanied by easy-to-follow narrations demonstrate how media channels and industries have changed over recent decades.
- Media News Clips bring extra coverage of current events into the book, connecting multiple, brief 2- to 4-minute news clips to core chapter content.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for your students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video
- An Instructor’s manual written by the author and offers chapter overviews, lecture starters, media literacy exercises, class activities, review questions, and suggested readings.
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- eQuizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus your attention
- Chapter-specific study questions that allow students to engage with the material
- Video, audio, and web resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives, and are curated exclusively for this text.