Seven Steps to a Comprehensive Literature Review
A Multimodal and Cultural Approach
- Anthony J. Onwuegbuzie
- Rebecca Frels - Lamar University, USA
What makes this book unique:
- Focuses on multimodal texts and settings such as observations, documents, social media, experts in the field and secondary data so that your review covers the full research environment
- Puts mixed methods at the centre of the process
- Shows you how to synthesize information thematically, rather than merely summarize the existing literature and findings
- Brings culture into the process to help you address bias and understand the role of knowledge interpretation, guiding you through
- Teaches the CORE of the literature review – Critical thinking, Organization, Reflections and Evaluation – and provides a guide for reflexivity at the end of each of the seven steps
- Visualizes the steps with roadmaps so you can track progress and self-evaluate as you learn the steps
This book is the essential best practices guide for students and researchers, providing the understanding and tools to approach both the ‘how’ and ‘why’ of a rigorous, comprehensive, literature review.
My Masters student found the book to be extremely helpful in writing up her literature review for her thesis. I myself am using it for my PhD and have recommended it to fellow colleagues for their students.
This is a useful and thorough book. I used it in a teaching session with PgR students. It is very detailed, but I suggested it could be a helpful reference. The library have now ordered copies. We have it listed with one postgraduate taught course and with our Graduate School.
This is an informative and engaging text.
I would recommend it to students undertaking a literature review in a variety of disciplines.
Very accessible to a large range of students. Must-have resource for any university student
This book provides an excellent framework for beginners undertaking a literature review.
Excellent book with clear and concise content
A very good complementary text surround understanding and effectively creation of an effective literature review; this is a great supplemental text for students undertaking research methods and dissertation projects to gain an enhanced understanding of the subject matter.
This is an excellent resource. A very comprehensive and user friendly book that, I believe, is a must have for any postgraduate student. The book helps authors conduct a literature review while understanding different research methods (qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods) and their contribution to research. It is an excellent book that I would recommend to all my students
This is an excellent resource. A very comprehensive and user friendly book that, I believe, is a must have for any postgraduate student. The book helps authors conduct a literature review while understanding different research methods (qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods) and their contribution to research. It is an excellent book that I would recommend to all my students.
Master students own choice - if they conduct research supported by this book. I introduce the book when possible.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 1: Foundations of the Literature Review