Foster an environment of love and healing within schools
In this groundbreaking book, educator, poet, and activist Dr. Crystal Belle challenges traditional educational practices and offers a new approach to teaching rooted in radical love and social justice. Combining research with personal experiences and interviews, Dr. Belle explores the roots and practical application of a social justice education framework grounded in Critical Race Theory (CRT), heart healing, educator beliefs, and a deep understanding of the structural inequities in education. Features of the book include:
- Personal narratives and portraiture that highlight the complex human aspects of education
- Sample social justice lesson planning templates and a social justice oriented curricular map
- Pedagogical activities that encourage critical thinking and more inclusive classrooms
- Radical love notes, objectives, reflection prompts, and discussion questions
- Critical discussion of special education, the school-to-prison pipeline, and the impact educators can have on their students through self-examination
Teaching with radical love means looking beyond traditional metrics of a student's success and utilizing their brilliance, cultural wealth, and intellectual potential to create transformative learning experiences, especially for minoritized children. This innovative approach to social justice education supports educators to teach with care, understanding, and intentional support for the diverse backgrounds, experiences, and identities of students.