Watch the short video below to hear from author William J. Ray about the purpose of his book, Abnormal Psychology, and learn more about what’s new in the Second Edition, including features, cases, and rich video resources.
What can today’s science of psychology tell us about the individual’s experience of mental disorders?
In the Second Edition of Abnormal Psychology, author William J. Ray takes a person-first, multilevel approach toward achieving a clear and complete understanding of the newest perspectives in this exciting field. Exploring behavior and experience, neuroscience contributions, and evolutionary perspectives, Ray guides the reader across levels of analysis ranging from culture to genetics. Every chapter includes personal vignettes, cases, visual examples, and data from around the world, giving students frequent opportunities to pause and reflect. The new edition offers up-to-the-minute coverage of topics including third wave cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), brain imaging, and global mental health treatments; new stories and examples; original videos featuring clinical cases and author interviews; and new features to help students make sense of changes in the DSM–5.
INSTRUCTORS: Abnormal Psychology is accompanied by a complete teaching and learning package! Contact your rep for a demo.
- SAGE Premium Video
These rich video resources accompanying the text enhance student learning and appeal to diverse learners. View a sample video session on PTSD and anxiety.
- SAGE coursepacks
SAGE coursepacks makes it easy to import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS). Intuitive and simple to use, SAGE coursepacks allows you to customize course content to meet your students’ needs. Learn more.
- SAGE edge
This companion website offers both instructors and students a robust online environment with an impressive array of teaching and learning resources. Learn more.
Also of Interest
Case Studies in Abnormal Psychology: A companion case book with cases from the authors' own clinical experiences—the perfect supplement for your course. Use Bundle ISBN: 978-1-5063-8153-4.
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning in an easy-to-use environment that offers:
- Mobile-friendly flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize your study time, anywhere, anytime
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes that allow you to assess how much you’ve learned and where you need to focus your attention
- A customized online action plan that includes tips and feedback on progress through the course and materials
- Learning objectives that reinforce the most important material
- Chapter-specific study questions that allow you to engage with the material
- Exclusive access to influential SAGE journal content, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
The following online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s LMS. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Pedagogically robust assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video, curated and produced exclusively for this text, is tied to learning objectives, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal and reference content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
- All tables and figures from the textbook