- Includes insights from some of the greatest thinkers in the world of criminology: In its first 100 years, the Council has been guided by great criminological thinkers, including Milton Rector, Norval Morris, Marvin Wolfgang, Don Gottfredson, Allen Breed, Roscoe Pound, and others. This volume captures some of their best writing.
- Promotes the importance of the juvenile court: Respecting the rights of all citizens, NCCD supports the need for a separate system of justice for children.
- Considers alternatives to incarceration: The included essays and studies address the failings of mass incarceration as a crime control policy and review the value of alternatives to incarceration.
- Encourages the advancement of effective crime control strategies: The book explores the ways in which social justice and criminal justice are inextricably linked and ponders possible paths to breaking the cycles of violence and incarceration.
- Sets the foundation for future research: NCCD's gifted staff members, past and present, have created a legacy of research that will help chart a course into the organization's next century.
This supplemental text is designed for advanced undergraduate and graduate courses in criminology, law, jurisprudence, sociology, and social psychology.