A practical and applied introduction to criminal justice
Introduction to Criminal Justice: Practice and Process shows students how to think practically about the criminal justice system by offering them a proven, problem-based approach to learning. Bestselling authors Kenneth J. Peak and Tamara D. Madensen draw on their many years of combined practitioner and academic experience to explain the importance of criminal justice and show how key trends, emerging issues, historical background, and practical lessons can be applied in the field.
The Third Edition of this highly anticipated text continues to build on its success by discussing core topics—policing, corrections, criminal behavior, criminal law, and courts—as well as current issues—ethics, mental illness and crime, illegal immigration—to demonstrate how to solve common problems faced by practitioners in today’s criminal justice system. This student-friendly book offers a palpable, real-world flavor typically missing in other texts for the course.
INSTRUCTORS: Introduction to Criminal Justice is accompanied by a complete teaching and learning package! Contact your rep to request a demo.
- SAGE Vantage Digital Option
SAGE vantage is an intuitive digital platform that delivers this text’s content in a learning experience carefully designed to ignite student engagement and drive critical thinking. Built with you and your students in mind, it offers easy course set-up and enables students to better prepare for class. Contact your rep to learn more.
- SAGE Premium Video
Included in SAGE vantage! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Learn more.
- SAGE Coursepacks
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
- SAGE Edge
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
Also of Interest: Careers in Criminal Justice, Second Edition
Prepare students to plan, pursue, and realize their career goals! Save when you bundle Careers in Criminal Justice, 2e with the new edition by Peak. Order using bundle ISBN 978-1-5443-2186-8.
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- Mobile-friendly flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize your study time, anywhere, anytime
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes that allow you to assess how much you’ve learned and where you need to focus your attention
- Learning objectives that reinforce the most important material
- Video resources that bring concepts to life, are tied to learning objectives, and make learning easier.
- Exclusive access to influential SAGE journal articles, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to...
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to...
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE Edge.
SAGE Coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video (available on the SAGE Vantage platform, linked through SAGE Coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and curated and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to diverse learner, featuring:
- Student on the Street videos that breathe life into concepts with stories drawn from common student misconceptions of criminal justice
- Video interviews with criminal justice professionals offer students career advice, provide insights into a variety of career paths, and discuss challenges and misconceptions of each profession.
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook.
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal and reference content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course in a way that is perfect for you
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
- All tables and figures from the textbook