Written and extensively updated by an author team that includes former and current law enforcement officers, Introduction to Policing focuses on the thought-provoking, contemporary issues that underscore the challenging and rewarding world of policing. The authors skillfully balance research and practice to offer students an overview of both the foundations of policing and the expanded role of today’s police officers. Evolving with the modern realities of the field, the Fourth Edition discusses major new and ongoing impactful events, such as the political shift marked by the U.S. presidential election of 2016 and expanded coverage of women and minorities in policing. The accessible and engaging writing style, coupled with unique coverage of the issues of policing in multicultural communities, the impact of technology on policing, and policing strategies and procedures, make this bestselling book a must-have for policing courses.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
Contact your rep to request a demo, answer your questions, and explore the robust tools and resources available with this text.
- SAGE Premium Video
Included in the interactive eBook! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Learn more.
- Interactive eBook
Your students save when you bundle the print version with the Interactive eBook (Bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-6586-2), which includes access to SAGE Premium Video and other multimedia tools. Learn More.
- SAGE coursepacks
SAGE coursepacks makes it easy to import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS). Intuitive and simple to use, SAGE coursepacks allows you to customize course content to meet your students’ needs. Learn more.
- SAGE edge
This companion website offers both instructors and students a robust online environment with an impressive array of teaching and learning resources. Learn more.
Instructors: SAGE coursepacks and SAGE edge online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
SAGE coursepacks for instructors makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
With SAGE coursepacks, you get:
- quality textbook content delivered directly into your LMS;
- an intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort;
- assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, including:
- diagnostic chapter pre-tests and post-tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided;
- assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives, and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life, featuring:
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, listing the chapter to which the video content is tied, matching learning objective(s), a helpful description of the video content, and assessment questions
- Policing in Practice Videos that feature interviews with professional law enforcement discussing their day-to-day work and current issues related to the field of policing
- Criminal Justice in Practice Videos that challenge students to explore how they would respond to real-world situations faced by criminal justice professionals
- Author Videos showcasing Brian Fitch and his career with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department
- SAGE News Clips featuring relevant news footage to help students apply knowledge to current events
- chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content;
- exclusive SAGE journal and reference content, built into course materials and assessment tools, that ties influential research and scholarship to chapter concepts;
- editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch;
- sample course syllabi with suggested models for structuring your course that give you options to customize your course to your exact needs;
- lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions;
- integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources; and
- select tables and figures from the textbook.
SAGE edge for students enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- an open-access site that makes it easy for students to maximize their study time, anywhere, anytime; ·
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts;
- eQuizzes that allow students to practice and assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention;
- open-access video links enhance classroom-based exploration of key topics;
- exclusive access to influential SAGE journal and reference content that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning; and
- suggested answers to the You Decide boxes found in the text provide a well-researched rationale behind the recommended response to key issues facing the law enforcement profession.