Qualitative Research: Analyzing Life presents a fresh approach to teaching and learning qualitative methods for social inquiry—one that focuses on analysis from the very beginning of the text. By exploring qualitative research through a unique analytic lens, then cumulatively elaborating on methods in each successive chapter, this innovative work cultivates a skill set and literacy base that prepares readers to work strategically with empirical materials in their own fieldwork. Renowned authors Johnny Saldaña and Matt Omasta combine clear, accessible writing and analytic insight to show that analysis, in its broadest sense, is a process undertaken throughout the entire research experience.
List of Displays
About the Authors
PART I—ANALYZING QUALITATIVE DATA
Chapter 1—Introduction: Analyzing Life
Chapter 2—Analyzing Field Sites
Chapter 3—Analyzing Documents, Artifacts, and Visual Materials
Chapter 4—Analyzing Interviews: Preparing, Conducting, and Transcribing
Chapter 5—Analyzing Interviews: Condensing and Coding
PART II—ANALYZING THE FRAMEWORK
Chapter 6—Analyzing Qualitative Methodologies
Chapter 7—Analyzing Qualitative Research Design
Chapter 8—Analyzing Research Ethics
PART III—ANALYTIC ASSEMBLAGE
Chapter 9—Analytic Synthesis: Condensing, Patterning, and Unifying
Chapter 10—Analytic Synthesis: Understanding, Interpreting, and Theorizing
Chapter 11—Analytic Write-Ups
Chapter 12—Analytic Presentations
Chapter 13—Closure: Leading an Analytic Life
Appendix—Three Representative Articles in Qualitative Research
“On the Bus With Vonnie Lee: Explorations in Life History and Metaphor”
Discussion Topics and Activities for “On the Bus With Vonnie Lee”
“Nightmares, Demons, and Slaves: Exploring the Painful Metaphors of Workplace Bullying”
Discussion Topics and Activities for “Nightmares, Demons, and Slaves”
“‘They Think Minority Means Lesser Than’: Black Middle-Class Sons and Fathers Resisting Microaggressions in the School”
Discussion Topics and Activities for “They Think Minority Means Lesser Than”
Instructor Teaching Site
Password-protected Instructor Resources include the following:
- Premium video, selected by the authors, facilitates further exploration of key topics.
- Editable, chapter-specific Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides offer you complete flexibility in easily creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for use when creating the syllabi for your courses.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to certain full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected for each chapter. Each article supports and expands on the concepts presented in the chapter. This feature also provides questions to focus and guide student interpretation.
- Full transcripts of the interviews in the book are provided so students can practice coding more easily.
Student Study Site
The open-access Student Study Site includes the following:
- A video that provides an overview of qualitative methods.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards reinforce understanding of key terms and concepts that have been outlined in the chapters.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to certain full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected for each chapter. Each article supports and expands on the concepts presented in the chapter. This feature also provides questions to focus and guide your interpretation.
- Full transcripts of the interviews in the book to practice coding more easily.