Race and Society
- Tina Patel - University of Salford, UK
Race & Ethnicity | Race & Ethnicity
Race and Society is a thoughtful and critically engaging exploration of some of the key issues around race and racialisation, which have arisen in what is considered to be a highly diverse and complex society.
With a progressive approach emphasising the social construction of race issues within a post-racial era, moving away from essentialist and polarized explanations of raced interaction, Tina Patel:
- Introduces the main concepts and key theories, including their post-developments.
- Focuses on the processes and impact of racial categorisation in contemporary society.
- Highlights the intersectional and multifaceted nature of race and related conceptualizations.
- Illustrates how race has morphed into newer forms of categorizations.
Race and Society is packed with topical examples and international case studies to engage students, along with chapter summaries, study questions and further reading. It's a highly readable and thought-provoking guide to the study of race and racialisation processes for students of sociology, criminology and related disciplines.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Race and Society: Categorising Race