Ann has been teaching, assessing and quality assuring in the further education and skills sector since 1983. She is a director of her own company Ann Gravells Ltd, an educational consultancy based in East Yorkshire. She specialises in teaching, training, assessment and quality assurance.
Ann holds a Masters in Educational Management, a PGCE, a Degree in Education, and a City & Guilds Medal of Excellence for teaching. She is a Fellow of the Society for Education and Training, and holds QTLS status.
Ann has been writing textbooks since 2006 which are mainly based on her own experiences as a teacher and the subsequent education of trainee teachers. She aims to write in plain English to help anyone with their role. She creates resources for teachers and learners such as PowerPoints and handouts for the assessment, quality assurance, and teacher training qualifications.
Ann has worked for several awarding organisations producing qualification guidance, policies and procedures, and carrying out the external quality assurance of teaching, assessment and quality assurance qualifications.
She is a consultant to The University of Cambridge’s Institute of Continuing Education, Ofqual, and the awarding organisation Training Qualifications UK (TQUK).
Ann welcomes any comments from readers; please contact her via her website www.anngravells.com
Ann Gravells’ textbooks
The teaching, assessment and quality assurance qualification titles change over time. Ann has written books in the past which reflect these titles and has updated them when they have changed. However, the content of the qualifications and the job roles which teachers, assessors and quality assurers carry out remain very much the same.
Ann has now written three generic books aimed at covering all the teaching, assessment and quality assurance qualifications as well as the relevant job roles. It doesn’t matter what the qualification title might be called now or in the future or which awarding organisation offers it, these three books should meet the required content of them all.
- Principles and Practices of Assessment (2015)
- Principles and Practices of Quality Assurance (2016)
- Principles and Practices of Teaching and Training (2017)
Ann’s first book Delivering Adult Learning was written in 2006 and was aimed at anyone taking the qualification of the same title. This book is no longer in print, but forged the beginning of her writing career and her aim of helping trainee teachers with their role.
Ann is the author of the following text books, many of which are now in new editions (listed here in alphabetical order). Details can be found on her website: www.anngravells.com/books
- Achieving your Assessment and Quality Assurance Units (TAQA) (2014)
- Delivering Employability Skills in the Lifelong Learning Sector (2010)
- Passing Assessments for the Award in Education and Training (2013)
- Passing PTLLS Assessments (2012)
- Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector (2012)
- The Award in Education and Training (2014)
- What is Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector? (2012)
She is co-author of:
- Equality and Diversity in the Lifelong Learning Sector (2012)
- Passing CTLLS Assessments (2010)
- Planning and Enabling Learning in the Lifelong Learning Sector (2010)
- The Best Vocational Trainer’s Guide (2015)
- The Certificate in Education and Training (2014)
- Passing Assessments for the Certificate in Education and Training (2014)
She has edited:
- Study Skills for PTLLS (2012)
- Achieving QTLS Status (2018)