Looking for effective strategies and best practices to break the cycle of ineffective school reform implementation?
Author Grace Sammon takes a sobering look at the state of high school reform and identifies the elements that keep us "running in place", rather than making progress on a road to success. Battling the Hamster Wheel™ offers research-based insights and strategies, stories from the field, and humor to help lead change agents and school leaders in a reform process to build the school communities they seek to create. It also provides the skills to establish and sustain the critical elements for schools' success:
- Demonstrating high expectations and a matching vision
- Building capacity to create a true climate for success
- Thinking small and dreaming big
- Engaging in legitimate community support
- Thriving with strong, sustained, and shared leadership
- Effectively aligning and managing resources
- Understanding the importance of time
This insightful resource includes a built-in book study and facilitator's guide for school boards, administrators, teachers, consultants, and students of education, and for professional development events.