More Courageous Conversations About Race
- Glenn E. Singleton - Pacific Educational Group
Foreword by James Comer
Use courageous conversations to build racial equity in your schools and districts!
Since the highly acclaimed Courageous Conversations About Race offered educators a framework and tools for promoting racial equity, many schools have implemented the Courageous Conversations Protocol. Now, author Glenn Singleton shares the challenges that have often led to random acts of equity and pockets of excellence rather than systemic transformation.
In a book that's rich with anecdote, Singleton celebrates the successes, outlines the difficulties, and provides specific strategies for moving Courageous Conversations from racial equity theory to practice at every level, from classroom to the school superintendent's office. Voices From the Inside narratives, written by champions of racial equity, offer moving illustrations of personal, professional, and organizational transformations.
Here's the MORE in More Courageous Conversations About Race:
- Examines the knowing-doing gap and suggests ways to transform your passion for racial equity into a powerful purpose that can transform our nation's schools and classrooms.
- Demonstrates the positive outcomes for students and their schools when educators have the will, the skill, and the knowledge to sustain courageous conversations about race.
- Shows how the social and political climate provides increasing challenges to ensuring that underserved students get the educational opportunities they need to succeed.
- Explicitly embraces other people of color in the drive for racial equity and illustrates how the Courageous Conversations Protocol can be applied to their circumstances.
- Offers specific advice for engaging leaders beyond the school house door—district staff, superintendents, school boards, and local community leaders—and underscores the importance of their contributions.
If you are committed to exercising leadership on behalf of all students, and especially underserved students of color, More Courageous Conversations About Race provides insight and inspiration for achieving your racial equity purpose.
"This book provides insight into the thinking of one of the foremost advocates for addressing the achievement gap in authentic ways that result in the underlying assumptions of racism being uncovered and addressed. Singleton's delineation of the concept 'racial equity work' is a major contribution."
"Readers who embrace the courageous conversations that Glenn Singleton has written about in these pages will find themselves analyzing their own thoughts and conversations about race in school settings. This text is a deeper analysis of previous conversations and the protocol introduced in Courageous Conversations About Race. The vignettes and cases are a strength."
"In this book, Glenn Singleton takes the courageous steps to model what he teaches as he gives us the pathways for our own journeys to confront racism in our lives. Glenn proves the necessity of holding courageous conversations about race if we want to eliminate the opportunity gap for ALL students."
This is a very helpful resource that can be used in a variety of courses/disciplines.