"Full of wonderful information, and very thought provoking!"
-Susan E. Fisher, NBCT
Douglas County School District, CO
"Cuts through all the jargon."
-Stephanie A. Slowik, NBCT, Nationally Certified School Counselor
Wake County Public Schools, NC
"Gives a better understanding of what the standards mean, what to do with the standards, and what to do if standards aren't being met by a school."
-Shannon Journell, Teacher
Enon Elementary School, OH
"Not only am I an educator, but I am also a single mom of two. I read this book from both perspectives and was enlightened by the information. Every parent should be aware of the information in it, especially those who move frequently."
-Stacy Slomko, Teacher
Perth Amboy High School, NJ
The essential resource for parents who want to help their children succeed in school!
Expert educator and award-winning author Donna Walker Tileston helps parents take the guesswork out of understanding educational standards, mandated tests, No Child Left Behind, and the myriad other issues affecting their children's schools today. Within this concise, reader-friendly guide, parents will find a wealth of easy-to-understand information, including:
- How to understand and access local and national standards
- Five things parents can do to improve standards-based teaching and testing
- Ten guides to asking the right questions at open-school events and parent-teacher conferences
- Three ways to help children master high stakes tests
- What to do if schools don't achieve adequate yearly progress
- A glossary that defines the buzzwords that mystify non-educators
With this one handy guide, all parents can become active, informed, and involved participants in their children's education.