This book is a highly practical and accessible guide to helping and supporting young people experiencing difficulties both at home and at school or college. Covering issues from low self-esteem and sexuality, to substance misuse and aggression, the author draws on a method of brief integrative counseling to illustrate how a time-limited therapy can work effectively in an often pressured and time-limited setting.
This fully revised and updated edition:
- Includes a whole new chapter on self-harm
- Discusses the latest research findings
- Outlines up-to-date Safeguarding legislation and Child Protection protocols
- Explores a teamwork approach to counseling
- Examines the contribution of neuroscience to adolescent brain development
- Considers the harmful effects of cyber bullying
- Provides an accessible format with reflective exercises on ethical issues
Steeped in vivid case examples, therapeutic dialogue and points for reflection, this invaluable book will help develop the theoretical knowledge, understanding and skills base of any youth counsellor, teacher or social worker based in a school or college setting.