- Conceptualizes forgiveness as communication: Offering an alternative to predominant psychological approaches, this is the first book to focus on specific communication behaviors associated with forgiveness.
- Provides an emotional connection: Real- life narratives from long-term couples, friends, family members, and coworkers make the text readable and relevant to today's relationships.
- Includes a chapter on the practice of forgiveness: Practical advice and specific guidelines resonate well with readers as they apply to genuine friendships, romances, families, and workplaces.
- Offers path-breaking theory development: The book organizes existing forgiveness research around a descriptive communication framework, demonstrating how existing psychological research can be enriched through the application of communication theories.
- Presents a highly personal closing chapter: In the final chapter the authors provide a personal account of their experiences as researchers through "On the Drive Home" vignettes that convey key lessons learned.
This is an excellent supplemental text for a variety of advanced undergraduate and graduate courses such as Conflict Management, Interpersonal Communication, Family Communication, Communication in Personal Relationships, Psychology of Personal Relationships, Counseling, and Peace Studies in the departments of Communication, Psychology, Family Studies, and Counseling.
|Why Is Forgiveness Important?|
|Social Science Approaches|
|Sensitizing Concepts: Communication as an Observational Lens|
|Transgressions and Traumatic Relational Events|
|Uncertainty Management Frameworks|
|Identity Management Theories|
|Towards Negotiated Morality Theory (NMT) of Forgiveness|
|The Forgiveness Episode: Six Communication Processes|
|Revealing and Detecting Transgressions|
|Relationship Negotiation and Transition|
|Five Reasons to Forgive|
|The Dark Side of Forgiveness|
|Prescriptive Models of Forgiveness|
|Communication Tasks of Forgiveness (CTF): A New Prescriptive Model|
|Reconciliation: A Possible Outcome of Forgiveness|
|Contributions From Long-Term Couples|
|Why Do We Study Forgiveness?|
|Conceptual Definition: What Is Forgiveness Anyway?|
|Picking Our Paradigm: Which Questions Matter Most?|
|How Do You Measure Forgiveness?|