New Foreword by Carol Ann Tomlinson
"It is the clearest approach I have seen for helping teachers distinguish the difference between concepts and facts. I will recommend it everywhere."
Heidi Hayes Jacob
Curriculum Designers, Inc.
"A lucid and helpful volume, very much what people need to move beyond simplistic teaching."
Grant P. Wiggins
Learning by Design, Inc.
This book is the ideal companion to Erickson’s landmark Stirring the Head, Heart, and Soul, Second Edition. Here, the author explores concept-based learning on a more in-depth level across disciplines and grade levels. Teachers can use the specific strategies to create a seamless learning program that teaches students the skills they really need to think conceptually and to solve problems in today’s complex, changing world.
Learn how to
- Take learning beyond the facts
- Facilitate deep understanding and knowledge
- Develop conceptual systems in the brain to process new information
- Meet higher academic standards related to content knowledge, process abilities, quality performance, and school-to-work transitions
- Align your curriculum with state and national standards and establish appropriate performance assessments
This excellent resource for K-12 teachers, teacher educators, curriculum designers, and staff developers contains numerous charts and figures that enable readers to put the book to immediate use.
Sample Materials & Chapters