The choice of students and librarians for nearly 100 years, CQ Researcher is the acclaimed, award-winning weekly publication that reports on current, newsworthy social issues. Researchers turn to CQ Researcher for trusted, accessible content and analysis on newsworthy social and political issues. An online subscription lets you search or browse past issues plus receive 44 new reports each year, along with updates of previous reports.
Request a free trial!
See CQ Researcher in action—sign up for a 30-day free trial.
Content and features
- CQ Researcher is the first place to go for the in-depth, balanced explorations of the most pressing issues in the news
- Each report:
- Engages readers with original reporting by experienced journalists
- Is professionally fact-checked
- Organizes robust classroom discussions and stimulates student thinking about report topics with discussion questions
- Poses and addresses issue questions and includes a pro/con debate
- Guides students to logical sources for the next step in their research
- Tracks the chronology of topics
- Reports cover hot topics including: Health, International Affairs, Education, Public Policy, Environment, Technology, U.S. Economy, and more.
Diverse and Inclusive
- The CQ Researcher editorial team has intensified its efforts to provide reports that highlight the important issues of social and racial equity.
- Additionally, we are continuing and expanding our efforts to make sure our reports include a wide diversity of voices, viewpoints, and contributors to ensure that CQ Researcher reflects the full spectrum of perspectives in contemporary society.
Also available! CQ Researcher Archive
- The CQ Researcher Archive adds valuable historical perspective and insight to your online collection by providing access to over 4,500 reports from 1923 to the present.
CQ Researcher has been widely recognized for its authoritative content and analysis on newsworthy social, policy, and political issues—here is a list of the awards we've been honored with:
- Winner, Modern Library Awards 2018, Gold Award
- Winner, Modern Library Awards 2017, Gold Award
- Winner, Choice Outstanding Academic Title, 2016
- Winner, John M. Higgins Award for Best In-Depth/Enterprise Reporting, 2014 [Awarded to contributing writer Frank Greve for the report entitled “Combat Journalism." Read the press release!]
- Winner, Library Journal Best Databases 2013, Best Upgrade
- Runner Up, Library Journal Reference 2012, Best Databases for Best Original Content
- Winner, The Newswomen’s Club of New York 2010 Front Page Award for Online In-depth Reporting [Awarded to CQ Researcher contributing writer Barbara Mantel for the report entitled “Terrorism and the Internet.”]
- Winner, The Newswomen’s Club of New York 2009 Front Page Award for Magazine Specialized Reporting [Awarded to CQ Researcher contributing writer Barbara Mantel for the report entitled “Public Defenders: Do Indigent Defendants Get Adequate Legal Representation?”]
- Winner, American Bar Association Silver Gavel, 2002
"The report helps researchers begin to grasp and parse out a new social or political topic and then provides paths to further researcher materials. This is a major asset to undergraduate students who are still honing their research skills....highly recommend."–Booklist
"The cream of the crop." –Library Journal
"When it comes to credibility and quality... it is difficult to compete with CQ Researcher." –Voice of Youth Advocates
"The shining example of what a truly brilliant research resource can be." –Library Journal
"A veritable treasure trove for novices and seasoned researchers alike." –Choice