“The text is logically organized and easy to read and understand. Students will find the text intriguing as they move through the coverage of the controversies from the text.”—Michelle L. Foster, Kent State University
Updated with new content and current controversies that facilitate critical thinking, debate, and application of the concepts, Mallicoat’s Crime and Criminal Justice, Second Edition, provides accessible and concise coverage of all relevant aspects of the criminal justice system, as well as unique chapters on victims and criminal justice policy. Using an innovative format designed to increase student engagement and critical thinking, each chapter is followed by two Current Controversy debates that dive into a critical issue in criminal justice. These features challenge misconceptions by providing a balanced debate of both the pros and the cons of each issue and are followed by probing questions to help students think critically about timely topics. With contemporary examples that students can easily apply and a broad range of effective learning tools, this practical text helps students go beyond the surface toward a deeper understanding of the criminal justice system.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
SAGE Premium Video
Included in the interactive eBook! SAGE Premium Video tools and resources feature criminal justice in action, career insights, animated decision-making scenarios, and news clips of current events to boost comprehension and bolster analysis. Preview a video now.
Includes access to SAGE Premium Video, multimedia tools, and much more! Save when you bundle the interactive eBook with the new edition. Order using bundle ISBN: 978-1-5443-6575-6 Learn more.
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
SAGE course outcomes: Measure Results, Track Success
Outlined in your text and mapped to chapter learning objectives, SAGE course outcomes are crafted with specific goals in mind and vetted by advisors in the field. See how SAGE course outcomes tie in with this book’s chapter-level objectives at edge.sagepub.com/mallicoatccj2e.
|Stages of the Criminal Justice System|
|Discretion and Ethics in the Criminal Justice System|
|The Wedding Cake Model of Justice|
|Models of Criminal Justice|
|The Influence of the Media on the Criminal Justice System|
|Types of Law|
|Sources of Law|
|Uniform Crime Reports|
|National Incident-Based Reporting System|
|National Crime Victimization Survey|
|Self-Reported Offending Datasets|
|What Is a Theory of Crime?|
|Classical Theories of Crime|
|Biological and Psychological Theories of Crime|
|Sociological Theories of Crime|
|Contemporary Theories of Crime|
|Victims and Crime|
|Theories of Victimization|
|History of Victims’ Rights|
|Victims in the Criminal Justice System|
|What Is Policy?|
|Why Do We Need Criminal Justice Policies?|
|How Do Criminal Justice Policies Develop?|
|Politics and Criminal Justice Policy|
|Research and Criminal Justice Policies|
|A Brief History of Policing|
|Types of Police Organizations|
|Women in Policing|
|Racial and Ethnic Diversity in Policing|
|What Do the Police Do?|
|Strategies and Tactics of Policing|
|Policing and the Law|
|Ethical Dilemmas and Corruption|
|Use of Force|
|Police Occupational Stress|
|Criminal Versus Civil Courts|
|Jurisdiction and the Courts System|
|Structure of the Courts|
|Courtroom Participants and Their Duties|
|Stages of a Criminal Court Case|
|History of Jails and Prisons|
|Types of Prisons|
|Prison Security Levels|
|Issues in Incarceration|
|Legal Rights of Prisoners|
|Issues in Reentry|
|History of the Juvenile Justice System|
|Structure of the Juvenile Court|
|Demographics of Juvenile Offenders|
Instructors: The following online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including
o Diagnostic chapter pre tests and post tests that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
o Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
o Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
o Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Chapter-specific discussion questions to help launch engaging classroom interaction while reinforcing important content
- Assignable SAGE Premium Video (available via the interactive eBook version, linked through SAGE coursepacks) that is tied to learning objectives and produced exclusively for this text to bring concepts to life and appeal to different learning styles, featurin
- Corresponding multimedia assessment options that automatically feed to your gradebook
- Comprehensive, downloadable, easy-to-use Media Guide in the Coursepack for every video resource, lists the chapter to which the video content is tied, matches learning objectives and course outcomes, and provides a helpful description of the video content as well as assessment questions
- Career insights from professionals in the field that expose students to the opportunities and challenges of potential careers in criminal justice
- Criminal Justice news clips that bring extra coverage of current events into the book, connecting multiple brief news clips to core chapter content
- Criminal Justice in Practice: Decision Making Scenarios that encourage a deeper understanding of key concepts by placing students in the role of criminal justice professionals in real-life situations
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal articles, built into course materials and assessment tools, that tie important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but can customize to your exact needs
- Lecture notes that summarize key concepts on a chapter-by-chapter basis to help you with preparation for lectures and class discussions
- Integrated links to the interactive eBook that make it easy for your students to maximize their study time with this “anywhere, anytime” mobile-friendly version of the text. It also offers access to more digital tools and resources, including SAGE Premium Video
- All tables and figures from the textbook
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly eFlashcards strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Learning objectives reinforce the most important material.
- Multimedia resources include timely and relevant video, audio, and web links to further explore topics and highlight responses to critical thinking questions.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter.