Do you need to demonstrate a good argument or find more evidence?
Are you mystified by the comment "critical analysis needed?"
What does it really mean to think well—and how do you learn to do it?
Critical thinking is a set of techniques—you just need to learn them.
This helpful book is your personal toolkit for critical thinking. Author Tom Chatfield will show you how to sharpen your critical thinking by developing and practicing this specific set of skills, so you can…
- Spot an argument and understand why reasoning matters
- Discover errors and evaluate evidence
- Understand and account for bias
- Become a savvy user of technology
- Develop clear, confident critical writing
In your critical thinking toolkit, you’ll find:
- The 10 Commandments videos: life rules to change how you think (Watch #1 of the 10 Commandments for Critical Thinking!)
- Smart Study boxes: excellent tips to whip your work into shape
- Quizzes: diagnose your skill level and test what (you think) you know
- Space to scribble!: journal your thoughts, questions, and eureka moments as you work
- #TalkCriticalThinking: connect and learn with readers from around the globe
Designed to work seamlessly with a power pack of digital resources and exercises, this book will provide you with practical and effective tools to think and write critically in an information-saturated age. Critical Thinking gives you the skills, insights, and confidence to succeed!
Learn more about author Tom Chatfield and the book!
SAGE Study Skills are essential study guides for students of all levels. From how to write great essays and succeeding at university, to writing your undergraduate dissertation and doing postgraduate research, SAGE Study Skills help you get the best from your time at university. Visit the SAGE Study Skills hub for tips, resources, and videos on study success!
Access a range of free digital resources to support your teaching:
- Interactive sample chapter
- Welcome video from Tom ('What is Critical Thinking?')
- BuzzFeed quiz to find out what kind of thinker you are
- 'About Tom Chatfield' section
- Downloadable classroom materials
- Downloadable PowerPoint slides to support teaching
Visit the SAGE Study Skills hub for tips, resources and videos on study success!
Watch over 20 videos of author Tom Chatfield discussing Critical Thinking and key ideas from his book, including each of his 10 Commandments.