Everything you need to know to educate students with autism
Every 20 minutes, another child is diagnosed with autism. Are you ready to meet this growing educational challenge? This authoritative guide for practitioners—early interventionists, teachers, school counselors and psychologists—provides practical strategies for addressing the unique needs of children on the autism spectrum and their families.
Drawing on current research and evidence-based practice, the authors discuss the causes of autism and present methods for educating children and assisting their families in supporting the educational process. Each chapter focuses on a critical issue and offers solutions, including:
- Improving communication, social, generalization and self-management skills
- Designing instruction, intervention, and assessment
- Including families in developing goals and interventions
- Using students' special interests to deliver instruction
- Understanding and preventing challenging behavior
- Evaluating practices to promote successful outcomes for students, families and practitioners
Included are forms, charts, and activities to help practitioners and families fulfill learning programs. Educating Young Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders will give you insight and tools to make a difference in the learning and lives of students with autism spectrum disorders.
Sample Materials & Chapters