Bringing together leading international researchers and drawing on the pioneering work of Douglas Barnes, this book considers ways of improving classroom talk.
- Examines classroom communication and managing social relations
- Addresses talk in science classrooms
- Covers using critical conversations in studying literature
- Looks at exploratory talk and thinking skills
- Discusses talking to learn and learning to talk in the mathematics classroom
- Investigates the 'emerging pedagogy' of the spoken word