"Implementing NCLB is an important guide to thinking about how to create the infrastructure to support sustained school improvement. Kimmelman's extensive experience as an educator coupled with his understanding of policymaking and research allow him to transcend the silos that too often constrain thinking about these issues."
-Andrew J. Rotherham, Co-Director, Education Sector, Senior Fellow Progressive Policy Institute
Member, Virginia Board of Education
"This inspirational book provides a convincing and compelling call to action. Kimmelman provides plenty of practical examples and moves easily between specific applications and the big picture."
-Michael Fullan, Professor
OISE, University of Toronto
"I believe this book should be read by every administrator and teacher leader. It provides a framework for schools to address the need for continuous school improvement in order to meet the expectations of NCLB."
-Theron J. Schutte, Superintendent , Boone Community School District, IA
How can NCLB directives be successfully applied to school improvement efforts?
Meeting the requirements of NCLB is a monumental task. In a concise, straightforward manner, author Paul L. Kimmelman shows readers how to overcome this challenge by building organizational capacity through a knowledge model. This model provides a simple but effective framework for evidence-based continuous improvement that complies with the fundamental underpinnings of NCLB.
Key features include:
- A context-setting overview of the politics and education initiatives that led to NCLB
- An analysis of what educational leadership means in an age of accountability
- Lessons in leadership from educators, scientists, explorers, and entrepreneurs
- Practical examples, reflective questions, and action ideas to help link concepts to specific applications
- Recommended resources, publications, and products to help build organizational capacity
Intended for educators and administrators who have an active role in leading their school or district improvement activities, this book will also be an essential resource for focusing the efforts of school improvement and learning teams.