“This is a solid textbook for an intro course... It follows different approaches in the discipline, going subfield by subfield from Political Theory to American Politics, Comparative, and IR. It has a strong introductory chapter that helps disentangle the relation between politics and political science.”
—Manuel Balan, McGill University
Political science has changed; the way students learn has changed; so too should the way it’s taught. This is political science, today.
Political Science Today by Wendy Whitman Cobb gives students a holistic view of the subfields that make up political science by dedicating one chapter to each of the topics at the core of the discipline. Unlike denser texts on the market, Political Science Today uses a field-based approach that allows students to engage with the material directly and dig into each of the discipline’s diverse subfields while also developing critical thinking skills, discerning the differences between politics and political science, conducting and consuming research, and broadening their future career aspirations.
The book’s innovative table of contents begins with foundational tools like theories and research methods, then builds up to subfield chapters on Comparative Politics, International Relations, American Government, Political Economy, and Public Policy and Administration. Current case studies throughout the text provide a backdrop for engaging classroom discussions on topics such as President Trump’s travel ban, ISIS as a state, and strengths and weaknesses of the United Nations. This unique approach provides short segments of topic coverage, plenty of summarizing content and review questions, as well as comprehensive learning objectives which will help students understand the realities of political science today.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
FREE! Easily import our quality instructor and student resource content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time. Learn more.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier. See how your students benefit.
Instructor Teaching Site
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
• required access codes
• learning a new system
Say YES to…
• using only the content you want and need
• high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE edge.
SAGE coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Chapter quizzes that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items with ExamView test generation
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Instructor manual for each chapter that includes a chapter summary, lecture notes, discussion questions, and class activities, to support your teaching
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- All tables and figures from the textbook
- Flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- Study Quizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus your attention
- Meaningful web resources that facilitate student use of Internet resources and further exploration of topics