Data comes to life in new edition of bestselling SAGE Publishing text
Data can be presented in a variety of ways, but which are the most clear, engaging, and impactful? SAGE Publishing is pleased to announce the release of Presenting Data Effectively: Communicating Your Findings for Maximum Impact, Second Edition by Dr. Stephanie D. H. Evergreen. The full-color text teaches students, researchers, evaluators, non-profit workers, and others who report data how to present research results in a meaningful way.
“This book walks you through how to use simple strategies from the graphic design world to enhance your reports, slideshows, posters, and graphs so that you are presenting your data effectively,” said Evergreen. “It uproots many of the things we were taught in academia about how to report our data, digging up what may have worked 20 years ago but needs to be adapted for a digital reading culture and applying what the graphic design students are learning.”
Grounded on research about how the brain takes in and retains information, Presenting Data Effectively has been referred to as a guide for “presenting data with clarity and lucidity” and for “creating innovative and intentional graphics that can frequently speak for themselves.”
The Second Edition covers design choices in four primary areas—graphics, text, color, and arrangement. It includes:
- Before and after illustrations of reporting techniques with step-by-step instructions and guidance based on Microsoft Office products
- A new checklist on data visualization, covering best practices for creating graphs that tell a story
- A rewritten chapter on color, incorporating guidance for complying with the Americans with Disabilities Act
- New content related to handouts, dashboards, using imagery for sensitive topics, and best practices for reporting data on mobile devices
- A checklist on evaluation report layouts, which identifies elements that can be enhanced using graphic design
- A free companion website with tools and resources to help readers develop their data visualization skills
- A review of the recent literature on data visualization and input from a panel of graphic design experts
A speaker, designer, and researcher, Evergreen is best known for bringing a research-based approach to helping people create the types of graphs, slides, and reports that educate new audiences, streamline group decision making, and change organizational culture. Her list of clients from across the globe includes Time, Verizon, Head Start, Rockefeller Foundation, Brookings Institute, and the United Nations. Evergreen founded the Potent Presentations Initiative, designed to help evaluators improve their presentation skills, within the American Evaluation Association and received its 2015 Guttentag award for notable accomplishments early in a career.
Learn more by visiting Presenting Data Effectively: Communicating Your Findings for Maximum Impact, Second Edition’s website and read sample chapters.
# # #
Presenting Data Effectively: Communicating Your Findings for Maximum Impact, Second Edition
May 2017 248 pages
ISBN: 978-1-5063-5312-8 Print Price: $56.00
# # #
Sara Miller McCune founded SAGE Publishing in 1965 to support the dissemination of usable knowledge and educate a global community. SAGE is a leading international provider of innovative, high-quality content publishing more than 1,000 journals and over 800 new books each year, spanning a wide range of subject areas. Our growing selection of library products includes archives, data, case studies and video. SAGE remains majority owned by our founder and after her lifetime will become owned by a charitable trust that secures the company’s continued independence. Principal offices are located in Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore, Washington DC and Melbourne. www.sagepublishing.com