This best-selling text pioneered the comparison of qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods research design. For all three approaches, John W. Creswell and new co-author J. David Creswell include a preliminary consideration of philosophical assumptions, key elements of the research process, a review of the literature, an assessment of the use of theory in research applications, and reflections about the importance of writing and ethics in scholarly inquiry.
The Fifth Edition includes more coverage of: epistemological and ontological positioning in relation to the research question and chosen methodology; case study, PAR, visual and online methods in qualitative research; qualitative and quantitative data analysis software; and in quantitative methods more on power analysis to determine sample size, and more coverage of experimental and survey designs; and updated with the latest thinking and research in mixed methods.
SHARE this Comparison of Research Approaches poster with your students to help them navigate the distinction between the three approaches to research.
SAGE edge for Students provides a personalized approach to help students accomplish their coursework goals in an easy-to-use learning environment.
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes allow for independent assessment by students of their mastery of course material.
- Premium video content curated from the SAGE Research Methods platform, including videos by John W. Creswell.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts presented in each chapter, plus accompanying exercises and application questions.
- Sample research proposals and templates offer further guidance on research design.
SAGE edge for Instructors supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students.
- Premium video content curated from the SAGE Research Methods platform, including videos by John W. Creswell, accompanied by assessment questions.
- A diverse range of pre-written, editable test questions to help assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Sample course syllabi for semester and quarter courses provide suggested models for structuring your courses.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for your course.
- EXCLUSIVE! Access to full-text SAGE journal articles that have been carefully selected to support and expand on the concepts, plus accompanying exercises and application questions.
- Lecture notes highlight key concepts by chapter to help you prepare for lectures and class discussions.
- Chapter-specific writing exercises emphasize critical thinking and application of key concepts.
- Discussion questions launch classroom interaction and encourage students to engage further with the material.
- All figures and tables from the book available for download and use in your course.