Sociology and the New Materialism
Theory, Research, Action
- Nick J. Fox - University of Sheffield, UK
- Pam Alldred - Brunel University London
The first book of its kind, Sociology and the New Materialism explores the many and varied applications of “new materialism,” a key emerging trend in 21st century thought, to the practice of doing sociology.
Offering a clear exposition of new materialist theory and using sociological examples throughout to enable the reader to develop a materialist sociological understanding, the book:
- Outlines the fundamental precepts of new materialism
- Explores how materialism provides new perspectives on the range of sociological topic areas
- Explains how materialist approaches can be used to research sociological issues and also to engage with social issues.
Sociology and the New Materialism is a clear and authoritative one-stop guide for advanced undergraduates and postgraduates in sociology, cultural studies, social policy and related disciplines.
Very good book. Skilful dissemination of a complicated subject area.
This books gives a differentiated overview of the current thematic orientations of approaches in new materialism. Hence offering a thorough overview of new materialist theory and sociological research examples. It is a valuable book for those who are interested in new materialist approaches for studying societal processes.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Sociology and the New Materialism: Introduction