A Guide to Establishing and Evaluating Performance Standards on Tests
- Gregory J. Cizek - University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA
- Michael B. Bunch - Measurement Incorporated, USA
Psychological Testing | Psychometrics
In Standard Setting: A Guide to Establishing and Evaluating Performance Standards on Tests, authors Gregory J. Cizek and Michael B. Bunch provide the only "go-to" reference on how to set standards on tests in education, licensure, and certification. This book is comprehensive in scope, practical in nature, and definitive in terms of cataloguing the essential conceptual and procedural fundamentals of setting performance standards.
- Offers a detailed description of procedures: In a practical, straightforward, and virtually jargon-free style, this book begins with important foundational and conceptual information about standard setting followed by step-by-step procedures for all currently used methods, including Angoff, Item Mapping, Analystic Judgment, etc. In addition, a full chapter is devoted to future issues and research in standard setting.
- Enables readers to design, implement, and evaluate a standard setting study: Using this book, readers will be able to: select an appropriate standard setting method; schedule and plan implementation; identify and train qualified standard-setting participants; conduct the standard setting meeting; calculate one or more cut scores; and evaluate the success of the procedure they have implemented.
- Allows readers to adapt written materials to their situation: Examples are provided in widely available formats such as Excel, SPSS, .pdf and Word files so readers do not have to purchase specialized software or learn to use unfamiliar packages. The book includes downloadable forms, sample correspondence, checklists, data sets, and analytical software for performing calculations required for various standard setting procedures.
This is an excellent supplementary textbook for graduate courses such as Applied Measurement in Education; Psychometric Theory; Advanced Educational Measurement; Special Topics in Measurement and Evaluation; Seminar in Educational and Psychological Measurement in the departments of Educational Psychology, Measurement and Evaluation, Psychology, and others.
A well-timed text, given the legislated requirement of performance standards in our K-12 educational system, as well as the continued need in the process of credentialing professionals. This book would be useful to individuals retained to produce or coordinate standard-setting activites.
It is abundantly apparent that the authors know standard setting and themselves have implemented numerous standard-setting procedures using different methods for different types of assessment programs.... Although the book is very practical, someone who has a fair amount of knowledge in standard setting will not feel shortchanged. There is a richness in the discussions of the methods that engages the reader, such as the different modifications of a method and the situational challenge that warranted each modification. Also, when a specific implementation of a method is discussed in detail, the authors are very conscientious in discussing the impetus for the adaptations. The historical perspective presented for some of the methods is quite intriguing.
Recommended for student projects. Excellent for students preparing for greater depth in the topic and specific research projects.
Sample Materials & Chapters
Chapter 2 - What Is Standard Setting?
Chapter 10 - The Bookmark Method
Chapter 16 - Special Topics and Next Steps
Chapter 3 - Evaluation Form (pdf)
Chapter 3 - Normative Information (xls)
Chapter 3 - Reality Information (xls)
Chapter 6 - Extended Angoff (xls)
Chapter 7 - Direct Consensus (xls)
Chapter 8 - Contrasting data (xls)
Chapter 8 - Contrasting data (sav)
Chapter 10 - Bookmarktraining, bookmark (PPS)
Chapter 10 - Bookmarktraining, bookmarkNTG (pdf)
Chapter 10 - Bookmarktraining, practice (pdf)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, agenda (pdf)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, angoff overview (PPS)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, bookmark (pdf)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, bookmark overview (pps)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, evaluation form (pdf)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, Holistic overview (pps)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, letters (pdf)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, Readiness form (pdf)
Chapter 13 - Materials 1, Security agreement (pdf)
Chapter 13 - Materials 2, Impact (xls)
Chapter 13 - Materials 2, Ordered Item Booklets (xls)
Chapter 13 - Materials 2, PLDs (pdf)
Chapter 13 - Materials 2, Round summaries (xls)
Chapter 13 - Cert scheduling (xls)
Chapter 13 - Ed schedule (xls)
Chapter 14 - vmss, Agenda (pdf)
Chapter 14 - vmss, Articulation (pps)
Chapter 14 - vmss, Overall distribution scores_Round 2 (xls)
Chapter 15 - ghm, VastDSet (pps)
Chapter 3 - Feedback Form (pdf)
Chapter 3 - Raw Score Distribution (xls)