This book is an indispensable guide for anyone training to become a secondary English teacher. It provides an overview of the main topics taught in schools, informed by good teaching practice drawn from the classroom and supported by research and theory, and engages with the requirements of the 2014 National Curriculum for England.
Each chapter is based around a ‘lesson feedback’ case study informed by real classroom observations combined with research findings to explore and analyse what underpins high quality English teaching.
· Encouraging a love of reading in your classroom
· How to teach effective writing for pleasure and for information
· Developing students’ grammar, vocabulary and spoken English
· Inspiring teaching using drama, poetry and Shakespeare
· Intelligent use of media and new literacies in teaching
This is essential reading on all secondary English initial teacher education courses, including school-based (SCITT, School Direct, Teach First), university-based (PGCE) and employment-based routes into teaching.