Designed to support teachers in developing new strategies and pedagogies for teaching music, and for teacher education students requiring a comprehensive overview of the subject, Teaching Secondary Music provides a modern and accessible of key issues in music education at secondary level.
Focusing on the nature of musical understanding and how to facilitate and assess musical progress, the editors bring together a team of experienced music educators leading the program of support for the secondary curriculum.
Supported with practical examples, case studies and resources exploring effective practice, Teaching Secondary Music covers the key concepts and approaches which underpin good practice in secondary music education. These include:
- How music relates to other curriculum subjects
- Ways of implementing newer aspects of the curriculum
- The music industry and intellectual property rights
- Working with a range of musicians
- Using ICT as a tool for musical performance
- Developing musical leadership
This book is essential reading for PGCE Secondary music specialists and practicing music teachers.