—From the Foreword by Dennis Sparks, Executive Director
National Staff Development Council
How can we use professional development to provide the best teaching and learning opportunities for all students?
To increase student achievement and prepare all students to meet standards, educators must be well prepared. Teachers who know their content and strategies can open a virtual toolbox and take out what they need to help all students become successful. This thoroughly revised and updated edition of Why Can't We Get It Right? explains how educational leaders can design, deliver, and evaluate collaborative standards-based professional development.
In this unique and indispensable guide, Marsha Speck and Caroll Knipe provide professional development designs, challenging teachers to make a difference for students and resulting in dramatically improved schools. This excellent resource contains:
- Essential questions about high-quality professional development
- Information on creating the culture for a learning community
- Conditions and processes for professional development
- Suggestions on designing your own model
- Tools for evaluating and rethinking professional development and learning
- Strategies for deepening a leader's impact on a standards-based system