Quotes to Inspire Great Reading Teachers
A Reflective Tool for Advancing Students' Literacy
- Cathy Collins Block - Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, USA
- Susan E. Israel - President and Director at Reading Alliance for Catholic Education
"Education is not the filling of a pail but the lighting of a fire."
-William Butler Yeats
These quotes will inspire reflection on your teaching and provide tools to inspire your students, too!
Teachers will find a year's worth of thought-provoking quotations by thinkers from in and out of education, from across centuries and cultures. Tied to themes of best teaching practice and reading domains, including goal setting, comprehension, vocabulary building, assessment, and collaboration, these quotes give you a daily way to deepen your reflection and critical thinking. The book also shows how to use the quotes in the classroom to directly foster improvement of your students' literacy, metacognitive skills, and goal setting, and at the same time introduce them to some of the greatest names in history and literature.
Following each quote, this inspirational guide includes:
- Three reflective questions relating the core idea of the quote to teaching practices
- Lesson prompts that provide ways to use the quote with your students
- Literature links that identify books for K through 2, 3 through 8, and 9 through 12 and how to use them to extend student learning and thinking related to the quote
The authors have created a unique resource to help you deepen your thinking. It can be used alone or as a companion book to Reading First and Beyond (Block & Israel, 2005), which offers research-based practices for reading instruction. Don't miss this great opportunity to enrich your teaching practices as well as your students' literacy!
"This curriculum book includes quotations from thinkers in and out of education, from many cultures and eras. Each quote is associated with teaching practice and reading domains."
"An excellent resource of ideas for creative and motivational lessons in reading, language, and literature."
Sample Materials & Chapters
Introduction: "Quotes to Inspire Great Reading Teachers"
Themed Collection 1: Making Meaningful Connections