“A thorough yet concise overview of California institutions, politics, and initiative process, grounded in an overview of California’s political culture.”
—Ronnee Schreiber, San Diego State University
The thoroughly revised Fifth Edition of California Politics: A Primer concisely explains how California’s history, political culture, rules, and institutions come together to shape politics today and how they will determine the state of affairs tomorrow. Author Renee B. Van Vechten begins with a brief political history of California, then walks through direct democracy, the legislature, executive branch, and court system. She covers local government and concludes with a discussion of the state’s budget process, campaigns and elections, political engagement, and policy issues. From the structure of the state's government to its local representatives, policies, and voter participation, California Politics: A Primer delivers the concepts and details students need.
New to the Fifth Edition
- An emphasis on California’s place in the federal system provides students with context around the state leadership's resistance to Trump administration policies on things like California’s sanctuary state status, immigration, the environment, and more.
- Increased coverage of policy topics throughout the book helps students see how recent policy has impacted issues such as greenhouse gas emissions regulations, attempted “fixes” for water- and drought-related issues, new transportation projects, and prison reform.
- Extended discussions of elections-related innovations introduce students to recent elections-related topics such as the Top-Two Primary, efforts to increase voter registration, all vote-by-mail elections, and redistricting.
- New coverage of the “Five Californias” gives students a better understanding of California’s political geography and how distinct segments of the population are primed for political engagement or disaffection.
- New lists of key terms with clear definitions at the end of each chapter enable students to review the content more effectively.
- New and updated maps and graphics depict important topics such as California’s newly proposed high-speed rail project.
Password-protected INSTRUCTOR RESOURCES you’ll actually use!
Save time and ease class preparation with additional guidance and tools, including:
- Test banks provide a diverse range of pre-written options as well as the opportunity to edit any question and/or insert your own personalized questions to effectively assess students’ progress and understanding.
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer complete flexibility for creating a multimedia presentation for the course
- A set of all graphics from the text, including maps, tables, and figures, in PowerPoint, .pdf, and .jpg formats for class presentations