Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics
North American Edition
- Andy Field - University of Sussex, UK
With an exciting new look, math diagnostic tool, and a research roadmap to navigate projects, this new edition of Andy Field’s award-winning text offers a unique combination of humor and step-by-step instruction to make learning statistics compelling and accessible to even the most anxious of students. The Fifth Edition takes students from initial theory to regression, factor analysis, and multilevel modeling, fully incorporating IBM SPSS Statistics© version 25 and fascinating examples throughout.
SAGE edge offers a robust online environment featuring an impressive array of free tools and resources for review, study, and further exploration, keeping both instructors and students on the cutting edge of teaching and learning. Course cartridges available for Blackboard, Canvas, and Moodle.
Andy Field is the award winning author of An Adventure in Statistics: The Reality Enigma and is the recipient of the UK National Teaching Fellowship (2010), British Psychological Society book award (2006), and has been recognized with local and national teaching awards (University of Sussex, 2015, 2016).
Instructors: The following online resources are included FREE with this text. For a brief demo, contact your sales representative today.
Instructor Teaching Site
SAGE EDGE FOR INSTRUCTORS supports your teaching by making it easy to integrate quality content and create a rich learning environment for students and includes:
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Test banks designed to support several subjects including Health, Business, Nursing, Education, and Sports written in ExamView test generation, so you can easily set assignments and exams
- Links to a wealth of student quizzes to support student self-study
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Video resources crafted by Andy Field himself demystify tricky concepts introduced throughout the book
- EXCLUSIVE, influential SAGE journal and reference content
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- All tables and figures from the textbook
- Course cartridges available for Blackboard and Moodle
Student Study Site
SAGE EDGE FOR STUDENTS enhances learning, it’s easy to use, and offers:
- Study skills and tips materials on preparing for exams, time management, reading research and presenting data
- eFlashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- eQuizzes and a Math diagnostics tool that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention
- Chapter summaries with learning objectives that reinforce the most important material
- Chapter-specific study questions that allow students to engage with the material
- Video tutorials created by Andy Field explain the key concepts introduced throughout the book and are supported by videos from SAGE’s award winning video products
- Exclusive access to influential SAGE journal and reference content that ties important research and scholarship to chapter concepts to strengthen learning
I've been using Discovering... with SPSS... for a couple of years & have just updated to the 5th edition. I LOVE chapter 3, and have actually been covering a lot of that material in my class, so it's nice to have it explicit in the text as well.
Jennifer Gutbezahl, Harvard University
"By the way, has anyone had a chance to look at the text? I love it! It's the first text I've come across that has been written in such a captivating way. There's humor, tons of information, and awesome resources both within and on the companion website. Kudos to Prof. Field!"
Anonymous Student, Harvard University
"I never thought I would find a statistics textbook amusing but somehow our text pulls it off. I also appreciated the online supplementary tools provided by the publisher. If you haven't seen them yet, you should check them out. They provide a good synthesis of each of the chapters and some easy options to review."
Anonymous Student, Harvard University
"I get started on the text and can't agree more with you on how the book is. I also appreciate how the author made the text interesting to read, but the content is rich enough to provide readers good knowledge on how to draw insights from stats and data. Also, it provides a lot of practical guides for reporting results and findings for research paper. Can't wait to take a deeper dive into the text!"
Very helpful for using SPSS, a perfect aid
Excellent book on statistical methods of analysis in research
Excellent, well organized text. Unique, in my experience, the text and substantial student support website, provide supplemental materials for students who may be struggling and advanced materials for those who are ready. This facilitates course design and teaching in classes where a mix of preparation backgrounds is the norm.
I've had previous editions of this text and as always, I am very impressed with Dr. Fields' humorous approach to statistics. He provides instruction on conducting analyses in the most current version of SPSS and has included Bayesian statistics in the new edition. Students receive comprehensive statistical instruction and many online resources are also provided. This is the best statistics textbook!