How to Do Your Research Project
A Guide for Students
- Gary Thomas - University of Birmingham
Now in its fourth edition, the book provides easy to follow advice to navigate every step of your research project, from choosing your research question, deciding on your research design and methodology, collecting and analysing your data, and writing up your finished project.
Presenting a clear and detailed roadmap to ensure you don’t miss a step, the book includes:
• Case studies and real-life examples from a range of disciplines so you can learn from other researchers who have been in your shoes
• DIY activities so you can practise your skills and get to grips with key concepts
• Practical advice on how to organise your writing, develop your flow and build strong arguments
• Further guidance on assessing ethical risk, including examples of high, medium, and low risk projects
Written in Gary’s signature straightforward style, this book is an essential companion for anyone undertaking a research project in the applied social sciences.
One of the most impressive things that real experts do is to communicate complex ideas in a clear way for their readers. Gary Thomas’ book has been doing this for university students over many years. It is deservedly a classic textbook, which is now in its 4th edition - a further mark of success!
I have used previous editions of this book. and always found it beneficial. Love this updated version. It is easy to use and understand for UG students yet it is still comprehensive.
A good introduction to research projects.
Clear, easy to read text that presents the research journey for students to comprehend at the beginning of their endevour.
A very accessible text and many useful additions to the previous edition.
This is a lovely book, written in a simple style that makes you feel like you are reading a story -not a text book. It sets out a really clear way to do a research project - perfect for students who don't know where to start.