“Kraft and Furlong provide students with a conceptual understanding of public issues and how the public policy process functions. This book also provides a forum for discussions of social, economic, and sustainable development issues; their characteristics; and impacts on human beings (citizens) as well as the environment. It will give students the needed tools to make informed economic and human development decisions that could lead to sustainable growth, human capacity building, and better lives.“
—Robert Dibie, Indiana University Kokomo
With the right information, we can develop public policies that work better.
All too often, public policy textbooks offer a basic grounding in the policy process without the benefit of integrating the use of policy analysis. Kraft and Furlong take a different tack.
Public Policy: Politics, Analysis, and Alternatives, Seventh Edition helps students understand how and why policy analysis is used to assess policy alternatives. The text encourages them to not only question the assumptions of policy analysts, but also recognize how these strategies are used in the support of political arguments. The authors introduce and fully integrate an evaluative approach to policy to encourage critical and creative thinking on issues ranging from health care to climate change. From a concise review of institutions, policy actors, and major theoretical models to a discussion of the nature of policy analysis and its practice, Kraft and Furlong show students how to employ evaluative criteria in six substantive policy areas. Students come away with the analytic tools they need to understand that the motivations of policy actors—both within and outside of government—influence a complex yet comprehensible policy agenda.
A Complete Teaching & Learning Package
FREE! Easily import high-quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS) and save time.
FREE online resources for students that make learning easier.
Instructor Teaching Site
SAGE COURSEPACKS FOR INSTRUCTORS makes it easy to import our quality content into your school’s learning management system (LMS)*. Intuitive and simple to use, it allows you to
Say NO to…
- required access codes
- learning a new system
Say YES to…
- using only the content you want and need
- high-quality assessment and multimedia exercises
*For use in: Blackboard, Canvas, Brightspace by Desire2Learn (D2L), and Moodle
Don’t use an LMS platform? No problem, you can still access many of the online resources for your text via SAGE Edge.
SAGE Coursepacks includes:
- Our content delivered directly into your LMS
- Intuitive, simple format that makes it easy to integrate the material into your course with minimal effort
- Assessment tools that foster review, practice, and critical thinking, and offer a more complete way to measure student engagement, including:
- Chapter quizzes that identify opportunities for improvement, track student progress, and ensure mastery of key learning objectives
- Test banks built on Bloom’s Taxonomy that provide a diverse range of test items
- Activity and quiz options that allow you to choose only the assignments and tests you want
- Instructions on how to use and integrate the comprehensive assessments and resources provided
- Editable, chapter-specific PowerPoint® slides that offer flexibility when creating multimedia lectures so you don’t have to start from scratch but you can customize to your exact needs
- Instructor manual for each chapter that includes a chapter summary, learning objectives, multimedia links, discussion questions, and in-class activities
- All tables and figures from the textbook
- Flashcards that strengthen understanding of key terms and concepts, and make it easy to maximize student study time, anywhere, anytime
- Mobile-friendly practice quizzes that allow students to assess how much they’ve learned and where they need to focus their attention
- Chapter summaries that focus on the key concepts covered in the text