The Next Public Administration
Debates and Dilemmas
- B Guy Peters - University of Pittsburgh, USA
- Jon Pierre - Gothenburg University, Sweden
Written by two of the leading scholars in the field, this book explores public administration in the past, present and future, critically reviewing the modernization of public management reform. It reasserts public administration as an integral component of democratic governance and fostering a state-citizen relationship.
Wide-ranging in scope, The Next Public Administration:
- Extends basic public administration to consider issues associated with management, governance and democracy
- Covers core public administration concepts and their evolution through time
- Draws on an international spread of examples, bringing theoretical discussions to life
- Includes lists of further reading
Essential reading for students of public management and public administration.
Peters and Pierre provide students and scholars alike with an agile, in-depth, highly effective presentation of key themes in public administration, management and governance. For each topic they show us the roots in the past, the contemporary issues, the challenges ahead. A must-read.
This book constitutes a good literature source for an advanced undergraduate and graduate audience. I consider Peters and Peirre work to be particularly fit for levelling the heterogeneity of the student base education. The topics are all relevant, in particular, to graduate students and the book is well balanced between theory and application.